Monday, July 27, 2009

Article Bears Scars of Media Bias: Reuters and the Astronaut

"Bob Thirsk, who is two months into a planned six-month stay aboard the station, said he is mostly in awe when he looks out the window, particularly at the sliver of atmosphere wrapped around the planet.

'It's a very thin veil of atmosphere around the Earth that keeps us alive,' Thirsk said during an in-flight news conference. 'Most of the time when I look out the window I'm in awe. But there are some effects of the human destruction of the Earth as well.'

'This is probably just a perception, but I just have the feeling that the glaciers are melting, the snow capping the mountains is less than it was 12 years ago when I saw it last time,' Thrisk said. 'That saddens me a little bit.' ~Reuters

The title of this news story is, "Earth bears scars of human destruction: astronaut", but one must read four entire paragraphs before you realize that this isn't a scientific discovery, nor an observation of a geologist, rather it is the "feeling" of a Canadian astronaut. That is, he's looking at the world through Global Warming-colored glasses.

Ah, but the agenda-riddled media changes, "...this is probably just a perception, but I just have a feeling...," to, "Earth bears scars of human destruction: astronaut".

The agenda is that the earth is melting, so they must capitalize on the misguided gut-feelings of an astronaut to promote this idea.

The fact is that the earth has been warmer in the past than it is today; the carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere have been higher than they are today; planets further from the sun than the earth are undergoing the same heating cycles; the sun goes through hot and cool cycles which correspond with temperatures on the earth; carbon dioxide is necessary to all life on earth, since all creatures exhale it, and plants convert it to oxygen; people use the "greenhouse effect" to grow bigger and better plants; warmer temperatures mean fewer crops destroyed by frost, and greater regions may grow crops that were previously prevented by the cold.


Global Warming would benefit mankind, it's just too bad the earth is cooling, eh?

3 comments:

AdamS said...

I guess he missed the expanding Antarctican ice...hey, how about those awful 'rising sea levels'? What happened to those islands that were going to be underwater? The answer appears to be that they're fine now - in other words, sea levels have fallen too.

The Rattler - III said...

You missed the most import part... his feelings. Facts and history are of no importance. Feeling are what guides us now in this age of enlightenment. His feelings sadden him.

This is the first time I believe Nasa should be scrubbed.

Unknown said...

AdamS, you must be one of those "right-wing conspiracy theorists" Obama has been teaching us about.

And you probably think the earth is round, don't you?!?

Bryan, feelings are the most important part of life.

In fact, whenever I'm outside painting a picture, I often wonder how the trees and grass feel about me capturing their likenesses on canvas; I wonder if they ever feel sad about the glaciers melting, too.

All of the little, woodland creatures sometimes look like they feel sad. I sometimes ask them, "Do you feel sad," and they say, "Yes, mister human, we do feel sad."

Then, when I'm out spending time with my favorite trees, I can almost hear their tears.

So yes, feelings are very important; especially when looking up at the happy, little clouds as they wave from he sky, and I see one that looks like Al Gore; that's a good feeling.

I'm Bob Ross. Goodbye!

Thank you both for your comments!

Websites That Make This One Possible

Ideations of a Jayhawker: Blog Policies

Comments
No vulgar, obscene, vile, or inappropriate language or insinuation may be used, and comments are subject to editing or deletion at my own discretion.

Please use proper spelling, following the rules of grammar of the English language.

The elimination of comments due to an objectionable account image may also be used at my discretion. Links given in comments that direct one to a website containing evil or unsightly content will also be deleted at my discretion.

Advocating or promoting specific acts of violence isn't allowed, but the vitriolic spewing of rants and ravings is encouraged.

Content

Content found in this blog is public domain, and it may be used freely; permission to recreate is automatically given, I only ask that I be informed when it is copied on another website; though this is not required, it would be considered a kind gesture.

Content found at any other website that was linked to from this page is beyond my control. I strive to put out as little objectionable content as possible here, but if you do find something that you feel is inappropriate, please contact me via comment, and I will duly edit it to a degree I deem appropriate.

Quotes you may find are all sic, including spelling, grammar, etc.

Following
Followers of this blog are more than welcome, but if you have a website that routinely displays content that you wouldn't allow a child to view or read, do not follow this blog unless you have a blogger warning previous to entering your website.
Failure to do so may result in being blocked from the followers list.

A follower may also be blocked if your account image is found to be objectionable.